Thursday, May 10, 2007

New York air is sweet!

I'm back in New York and the difference in the air quality is dramatic! The air in Dubai is fine, but it was so humid and heavy that I didn't notice the difference. I had a brief taste of sweet air in Munich as I was shuttling from one terminal to another. I step out of my apartment building now and the air literally smells sweet. How bad does the air have to be in your city that NYC air quality is drastically better by comparison?

Already, I've had crab rangoons from my chinese place, pizza from my pizza place, and tacos from my taco place. It's now 3:30 AM and I'm wide awake. Hopefully I'll adjust soon, though.

Next, I meet with a headhunter tomorrow who has been pumping up my ego about how nice my resume is, though she may not have anything for me--"I just want to meet you," she told me...maybe I'll get a date out of this thing... Tomorrow I also meet with a friend who will be shipping out to Iraq soon. Friday I've invited friends to come to the last beer garden in NYC, then Saturday I have two birthday parties to attend! So I get to have some fun before again pumping out applications for jobs next week before I leave for Iowa next Friday where I will be for 5 days.

As of now, I'm out of my apartment in early June, so decisions must be made in the next month.

I've been invited to go back to Kabul. I like being there OK and am pretty comfortable with the security situation and the job. But the heat is cranking up in Kabul. The temperatures in the KU library were OK, but we didn't have the extreme heat that will come with the end of June/July. The classroom was sometimes so terribly smelly, though, and that will only get worse--and I'm guessing much worse. Our western standards for bathing are not the same as the students in Kabul--not necessarily as a result of cultural differences, they just have limited access to power and water. Mary is not going back for this next round, but another fellow has already been arranged. So, I'm still considering it, but hope to find something else a bit more stable.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18672314/ I thought about you, today, when I read this story!! I still enjoy reading your stories! Good luck and take care!

Shahab said...

Hi Jonathan,
I hope that all is well with you and your job search is being productive. I met you last weekend at the beer garden; I was with the cute girl, you were with 20 Northern Alliance members. Thanks for giving me a hat; I think it’s awesome. I wore it to the pub a couple of nights ago and nobody really knew what it was, sort of disappointing. I might have to hold off wearing it again until it gets a bit colder.

Anyway I obviously found your blog. In two days I managed to read every entry, watch every clip, and review every comment. Good stuff, it was great to read a average Americans perspective on living there. I hope you keep bloging letting us know what happens next.

Below are some website that I think you might enjoy:

http://3quarksdaily.blogs.com/3quarksdaily/

http://www.amherst.edu/askphilosophers/

http://www.crooksandliars.com/

http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/index.html

Lastly, I just finished the book No God But God by Reza Aslan and found it a good read. It does a good job of wrapping up the history of Islam in an easily digestible way.

Best Regards,
Shahab

JAC said...

Thanks so much for your comments! I may investigate putting the blog together in printable form--try and make my vagabonery pay off!

Shahab, it was great meeting you too--and I'm impressed with your 2 day burn through all the blog posts! Hopefully us warlords will get together again at the beer garden soon.

I finished "Ghost Wars" on the flight back today. We had so many warnings coming in before 9/11...the Clinton impeachment and White House transition really took eyes off the ball. Excellent book, shameful information.

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.