Friday, May 4, 2007

Other stories

You've heard me complain about the terrible bathrooms at the library, well now here's proof. Reminds me of Trainspotting. I don't know why the vast chasm in ideas about hygiene in the bathroom, but this place smells of ammonia the stench and fermentation are so advanced. It really does mystify me why the bathroom can't be cleaned once a week... I've found a secret bathroom kept under lock and key at the English Language Resource Center for use in emergency situations. Funny how toilet talk becomes standard fare when you're in a place like this. It comes up over and over again. I guess it's something everyone's western intesterns have to confront.


















The other day, an enterprising young fellow (maybe 12 or 13 years old) with a bicycle and a backpack was out in the street in front of our guest house and came over to offer us maps and books. "How much for a map?" I asked. "Five dollars," he told me. "You gotta be kidding me!" I recognized this kid from the nearby bakery where we buy snacks now and again. He bought a brownie and a soda--unheard-of luxuries for someone in his situation--and gulped them down outside the bakery with a big smile on his face. Now I knew why--this kid understood his target market! Well, I ended up getting a Dari-English Dictionary and a map for $8. The dictionary has been great. It also has some Dari proverbs in the back and so far my favorite is "Two watermelons cannot be carried in one hand." The guards and students have gotten a kick out of me dropping some Dari on them now and again...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to get two melons in one hand for years.

Dem toilets is straight nasty.

JAC said...

Family show, Mike--family show!

Anonymous said...

more toilet pics! yeah!

Anonymous said...

Makes IE's toilets seem so much more welcoming!!!